2019 Anti-Poverty Advocacy Resources
Download our Anti-Poverty Advocacy Resource Binder.
Clicking the link will download a zip file containing all of the resources of the physical binder located at the church.
If you prefer to view the resources collected as PDFs based on category, use the links below:
Table of Contents (all categories)
Intro to Advocacy and Canadian Government
Poverty – General
Fair Pay and Employment
Food and Hunger
Health and Addiction
Reconciliation and First Nations
The following resources are password protected by their publishers. Please view them separately from the combined PDFs:
Walking Together: Ontario’s long-term strategy to end violence against Indigenous women
Lenten Advocacy Campaign
During Lent, we are engaging in a letter-writing campaign to advocate for those living in poverty. On the fifth Sunday in Lent (April 7, 2019), you will be able to hand in a colourful card representing the letters, emails, and phone calls you have made advocating for change. The letters will then be blessed during the 10:30 service as a symbol of our faith.
In addition to the “Intro to Advocacy” section of the binder linked above, we have the following resources for people writing to their government representatives:
Find your Toronto City Councillor
Do-It-Yourself Letter Template Use this letter template to write your own letter or email. Side one has directions and suggested wording, and side two has blanks to fill in to prepare your letter(s). It can be used for any issue. Check out the example advocacy letter written using this template.
You can write a letter in under ten minutes!
- Print out a copy of the letter template (to save paper, download and edit the document without printing)
- Find a fact from the poverty resource binder or choose one from our verses and stats cards
- Decide who to send your letter to (if you aren’t sure who is in charge of this type of problem, you can send it to multiple people or use the “Introduction to Advocacy” section of the resource binder)
- Fill in the blanks on the back side of the template
- Write and send your letter or email!