Black History Month 2024
During Black History month Canadians celebrate the many achievements and contributions of Black Canadians who throughout history have done so much to make Canada the culturally diverse nation it is today.
People of African descent have been a part of shaping Canada’s heritage and identity since the arrival of Mathieu Da Costa, who is the first known Black person to travel to Canada in the 1600s.
Black History month allows us to focus on uncovering the entire picture of the presence of African-descended people. As we get to know the history, we are amazed of the ability to survive and the many achievements.
There have been many giant steps, including
- the ROM, in conjunction with the Black History Society, establishing the “Here We Are Here” exhibition
- the $10 bill with the picture of Viola Desmond, first Black person to be featured on a Canadian bank note
- the many Canada Post stamps with photos of Black people
- the Heritage Plaques in various communities identifying the contributions of Black citizens
- Government of Canada posters recognizing not only individual Black Canadians but also our African heritage
- United Nation’s recognition and designation: International Decade of people of African Descent from 2015 to 2024.
This year for Black History month we are celebrating the contributions of three parishioners. Their personal experiences and diverse backgrounds offer an understanding of the multifaceted experiences of Black Canadians. The month of February is the month designated to remember the contributions Black people have made in the past and continue to make across Canada and beyond. Black History Month is about embracing innovation, resilience, and togetherness toward a united country in which everyone has a chance to prosper. We should note that although we move into the final stretch of the International Decade for people of African Descent (2015-2024), we need to continue the momentum and amplify the voices of people of the Black culture.
Click on the image below to view the presentation.